New Realities of Motherhood

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Too Many Birthday Candles

One thing you cannot outrun are the flames of birthday candles. The heat from those seemingly harmless yet iniquitous wax symbols is growing each year. While I am waxing my hands and feet with a near cousin to prolong 'youthful' smoothness, those eventful candles bring a smoldering of wrinkles and gray hairs every year. And lets not forget how nicely they illuminate the path to senescence.

This year was a big one for me. Please don't count them. Trust me. It was more like a mile bolder. However, the love of friends and family,  pushed me over the boulder with grace and fun to the point of this writer's shameful acknowledgment: its not the number of years but the number of friends that matters. You can't outrun those candles, but thank God for friends and family to take your mind off of the quantity of them.

No comments: